Monday, February 25, 2013

Bow Tutorial

So today I'm trying to catch up on the nail art challenge I committed to at the beginning of February. I've been having what I call a "nail art brain fart", I just haven't been inspired lately. Plus I broke a couple of nails and had to file them down, which is never fun. So, the first day I need to catch up on is day 17 "Bows". I was asked a while back on my Facebook page to do a bow tutorial, so I figured there's no better time then now!!

For these nails I used a nude polish, a fast drying top coat, three different colours of acrylic paint and a small detail paint brush.   I got the paint and paint brush at Michael's Craft Store.


So to start I painted my nails a nude shade, for this look I chose my new OPI polish in "My Vampire Is Buff", then I added a layer of Seche Vite fast drying top coat to smooth out the surface I was painting on and to dry the polish. Then once the top coat was dry I used acrylic paint and painted on two heart shapes that mirrored each other using the outline colour which in this case was black.


Next while I was waiting for the black acrylic paint to dry I took my bow colour, in this case it was pink, and I mixed it with white to create three different shades of pink.


Then I took the darkest shade of pink and filled in my bow. You want to bring the paint as close to the black as possible without covering it completely. This creates a nice thin outline. I also left a little line of black in the middle of the heart shape to create what looked like a crease in the bow.


Then I took the black paint again and painted a circle in the middle of the two heart shapes to create the center of the bow. I overlapped the black over the heart shapes just slightly.


Then I took the darkest pink and filled in the circle. Then taking the black I added two think lines coming down from the bow.


Then I took the darkest pink and filled it in. Then I went in with my medium shade of pink and layered it over the dark pink to create a shaded effect. Then I went in with the lightest pink and added it just where I wanted it to look highlighted. So on the top of the bow and right in the center of the bow. The I took the pink paint (with no white mixed in, straight from the bottle) and added it where I wanted it to look the darkest or where I wanted it to look like there was a shadow.


Lastly I waited for the acrylic paint to dry completely and then I added a good thick coat of Seche Vite fast drying top coat.


That's it you're done! Did you like this tutorial? Let me know in the comments below!
    -Melissa xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment